South West Academy of Sport (SWAS) is the peak sporting body of South West Victoria, delivering high performance services and education for aspiring athletes and providing direct pathways for sporting success.
SWAS is one of the six Victorian Regional Academies of Sport (VRAS) that provide vital support services to aspiring athletes throughout Victoria with direct program links with the Australian Institute of Sport and the Victorian Institute of Sport. SWAS has agreements with Victorian Government, the Australian Sports Commission, Victorian Institute of Sport, Australian Paralympic Committee, Tennis Regional Academies Victoria, Golf Victoria, Victorian Golf Foundation, Cycling Victoria, Victorian Clay Target Association, Surfing Victoria and Netball Victoria. These organisations assist greatly in the delivery of the SWAS services and programs.
The South West Academy of Sport works with, complement and support relevant organisations to improve the levels of sporting excellence in South West Victoria.
To provide elite sports services and genuine pathways for emerging talented South West athletes to compete successfully as part of a supportive program at state, national and international competitions.
The purposes of the Academy are to develop the skills and experiences of talented athletes in the South West region of Victoria by:
- Providing a pathway to high performance sport through educational and personal development opportunities
- Enhancing the quality of coaching and support services
- Providing a nurturing and team environment to support sporting excellence
- Developing networks for promotion and leadership
- Any other action to support these purposes
South West Academy of Sport Philosophies
- Support and develop athletes and coaches through education and training.
- Provide a higher level of regional coaching/services than available at club/local level.
- Provide competition and complement or add value to existing club activities.
- Be driven by the sport advisory committees and evaluated by all stakeholders.
- Capitalise on inter academy or joint academy opportunities.
- Encourage attendance of family and support networks.
- Athlete development – to identify support and develop athletes through education and training.
- Improving performance – to develop structures that will enhance the performance of athletes at State and National level.
- Pathway linkages – to develop pathways between regional and State and National level participation.
- Providing a legacy – to increase the performance of individuals while improving the capacity of organisations to support and develop sport at a grassroots level.
- Promotion of sporting excellence – to promote the South West as a centre of sporting excellence.
Benefits to athletes selected in SWAS
- Intensive coaching and training by the Academy’s elite level coaches and visiting coaches from State and National bodies
- development of personal qualities such as self-esteem, self-awareness and self-motivation
- organisation of relevant competition opportunities for squads and athletes
- strength and conditioning programs
- sports science testing and evaluation
- education workshops for a variety of sports science topics such as Nutrition, Sports Psychology, Media training and Recovery techniques
- Musculoskeletal screening
- Skill development
- SWAS uniform
- Access to a medical support network.
The South West Academy of Sport covers the local government areas of:
- Corangamite Shire
- Glenelg Shire
- Moyne Shire
- Shire of Southern Grampians
- Warrnambool City
South West Academy of Sport
WestVic Academy of Sport
Sunraysia Academy of Sport
Gippsland Sports Academy
Bendigo Bank Academy of Sport
Barwon Sports Academy