The South West Academy of Sport Cycling Program, proudly supported by Cycling Victoria, will act as a complimentary program for the best cycling athletes in South West Victoria, and provides a development pathway to State and National representation.
The program provides “skills” coaching through training camps, and sport science services to aid development.
- The aim is to provide services to these athletes which they could not otherwise access, therefore completing and complimenting their current coaching, training and competition environments.
The overarching objective of the SWAS Cycling Program is to implement a program which takes a holistic approach to an athlete’s development. This is achieved through on and off surface activities.
From a coaching perspective, the program provides a series of “Training Camps” which focus on ‘Skill Development”. These camps are not intended to replace any aspects of the athlete’s personal coaching or “Riding Program”. Instead, the program’s approach to coaching provision is “to provide athletes with the opportunity to develop and improve skills/knowledge/approaches/attitudes in their cycling”. The Academy encourages the private coaches of program athletes, who provide them with their “Riding Program” to attend the training camps. The training camps cover drills and activities as determined by the coach, based on athlete needs.
With an athlete-centred approach, the Academy will provide a program that integrates both the physical and mental aspects of Cycling. To this end, the program delivers a series of off-course activities around sport psychology and nutrition, as well as strength & conditioning programs, to further development.
The Academy Program also provides support for Athletes participating in State-Level competition. Delivery of this support is through providing coaching support at State-Level Competition such as Junior Tours (For Under 13-15-17 athletes) and selected Victorian Road Series (For Under 19-23-Open). Funding support is included. Additionally to these tour events, the program funds athlete participation in the Country Road Championships.
The 2018 program will run from April 2018 to March 2019, this change has been made to align with the change in seasons – Road & Track, and club activity/operation, and is coordinated by SWAS, with Cycling Victoria.
Benefits to athletes selected in SWAS
- Intensive training by quality coaches
- Skill development
- Development camps (Each camp combines on-court activities with sport science and personal development activities off the court).
- Strength and conditioning programs, support and advice (including functional movement screening)
- Access to myAISbasecamp an Australian Institute of Sport athlete development and support program
- Sports science testing and education
- SWAS uniform
- Personal Development workshops such as Nutrition, Sports Psychology, Media training, Recovery and other areas
- Access to a medical support network
Program Selection Criteria
The SWAS Cycling Program selection criteria set measurable standards of success for athletes wanting to pursue their Cycling career. The Program is also designed to be a feeder program for state and national teams/programs. These criteria are:
- Be a member of a Cycling Club within the South West Region and be competing in regular club racing events.
The Academy also expects that all athletes in all programs be committed to their sport from both a training/competition and off-surface work perspective. This means applying oneself to demonstrate “High-Performance Behaviours” – regular attendance and participation in all activities and respectful and timely communication with officials as required.
To confirm your place in the program, athletes will need to complete all forms attached to this program outline by March 30, 2018, and submit to SWAS, at the address provided.
2017 Athletes & Program Managers