The South West Academy of Sport Cycling Program, proudly supported by Cycling Victoria, will act as a complimentary program for the best cycling athletes in South West Victoria, and provides a development pathway to State and National representation.
The program provides “skills” coaching through training camps, and sport science services to aid development.
- The aim is to provide services to these athletes which they could not otherwise access, therefore completing and complimenting their current coaching, training and competition environments.
The overarching objective of the SWAS Cycling Program is to implement a program which takes a holistic approach to an athlete’s development. This is achieved through on and off surface activities.
From a coaching perspective, the program provides a series of “Training Camps” which focus on ‘Skill Development”. The training camps cover drills and activities as determined by the coach, based on athlete needs. Athletes are also provided with a personalised “Riding Program” through the online Training Peaks program. The cycling program’s approach to coaching provision is “to provide athletes with the opportunity to develop and improve skills/knowledge/approaches/attitudes in their cycling”.
With an athlete-centred approach, the cycling program provides a structure that integrates the physical, technical and mental aspects of cycling. To this end, the program delivers a series of off-course activities around personal excellence and athlete education, these sessions include sport psychology and nutrition, as well as strength & conditioning programs.
The 2019 program will run from April 2019 to March 2020 this change has been made to align with the change in seasons – Road & Track, and club activity/operation, and is coordinated by SWAS, with Cycling Victoria. The practical cycling component (training camps, race support and riding programs) will be delivered SWAS Cycling coaches with the strength & conditioning, athlete education and personal excellence delivery be SWAS.
All riders need to meet the following selection criteria:
- Be a member of a Cycling Victoria affiliated club in the South West
- Have a positive attitude and a willingness to learn.
- Are racing in the Victorian Junior Road Series or have reached a satisfactory standard of performance based on current rankings at local races and regional events.
- A desire to progress further along the junior pathway and eventually progress their own Cycling and/or progress to the development team.
Benefits to athletes:
- 6 Cycling training Camps including:
- Riding program designed and tracked through Training Peaks Pro an online Cycling training program
- Personal Excellence workshops: These workshops include a wide variety of education and training such as Nutrition, Recovery, injury prevention, goal setting, media training, Sport Psychology, guest speakers and much more.
- Strength and conditioning programs, including a Strength and Conditioning coach who will provide weekly strength and conditioning sessions and assist in the athletes training and improvement.
- Musculoskeletal screening and profiling
- Up to 22 of personal coaching
- Full Cycling kit provided
- Sports science testing and education
- Access to SWAS medical support network including Physiotherapists, Chiropractors, Doctor and massage therapists.