The South West Academy of Sport Cycling Program, proudly supported by Cycling Victoria, will act as a complimentary program for the best cycling athletes in South West Victoria, and provides a development pathway to State and National representation
The aim is to provide services to selected athletes which they could not otherwise access, therefore completing and complimenting their current coaching, training and competition environments.
The overarching objective of the SWAS Cycling Program is to implement a program which takes a holistic approach to an athlete’s development they could not otherwise access, therefore completing and complimenting their current coaching, training and competition environments both on and off the bike.
From a coaching perspective, the program provides a series of “Training Camps” which focus on ‘Skill Development”. The training camps cover drills and activities as determined by the coach, based on athlete needs. Athletes are also provided with a personalised “Riding Program” through the online Training Peaks program. The cycling program’s approach to coaching provision is “to provide athletes with the opportunity to develop and improve skills/knowledge/approaches/attitudes in their cycling”.
With an athlete-centred approach, the cycling program provides a structure that integrates the physical, technical and mental aspects of cycling. To this end, the program delivers a series of off-course activities around personal excellence and athlete education.
The 2020 program will run from April 2020 to March 2021 this change has been made to align with the change in seasons – Road & Track, and club activity/operation, and is coordinated by SWAS, with Cycling Victoria. The practical cycling component (training camps, race support and riding programs) will be delivered by SWAS Cycling coaches with the strength & conditioning, athlete education and personal excellence delivered by SWAS.
All riders need to meet the following selection criteria:
- Be a member of a Cycling Victoria affiliated club in the South West
- Have a positive attitude and a willingness to learn.
- Are racing in the Victorian Junior Road Series or have reached a satisfactory standard of performance based on current rankings at local races and regional events.
- A desire to progress further along the junior pathway and eventually progress their own Cycling and/or progress to the development team.
Benefits to athletes:
- 6 Cycling training Camps including
- Riding program designed and tracked through Training Peaks Pro an online Cycling training program
- Up to 22 of personal coaching
- Full Cycling kit provided
- IAP Musculoskeletal Screening – with a qualified Physiotherapist to guide all future development.
- Year Long Weekly Strength & Conditioning Sessions – with a qualified Strength & Conditioning Coach* (*please note all our strength and conditioning coaches hold an Exercise Science Degree).
- Injury Prevention & Recovery, Support and Education – designed and delivered by industry experts.
- Sports Psychology Sessions – with a qualified Sports Psychologist.
- Skill Development Assistance – with qualified Coaches.
- 12 month Gym membership – for athlete’s free and personal use to support their athletic pursuits.
- Sports Science Testing & Education – including; speed, agility, stability, power, & further sport specific tests.
- Personal Development & Education – including; Leadership, Supportive Athletic Routine, Self-Awareness, Problem Solving, Effective Time Management.
- Professional Development & Education – including; Sports Nutrition, Physical Literacy, Effective Communication, Self-Marketing & Branding, Media Training· ‘
- Ongoing Access to SWAS’s Medical Support Network – as trusted and recommended by SWAS.
- Professional Certification Opportunities – i.e. First Aid Certificate, Online Education Platforms: Sport Relevant, etc.
Athlete Wellness Monitoring – supporting and monitoring athlete’s daily professional physical load and personal mental wellbeing in aid of daily health management and crisis aversion and identification.