The South West Academy of Sport (SWAS) 2020 Golf program is proudly supported by Golf Victoria, Victorian Golf Foundation, Western District Golf Association and the Victorian Institute of Sport, The SWAS Golf Program has the specific objective of identifying talented junior golfers and providing them with a level of coaching and athlete education that will assist them in taking the next step in the sport of Golf.
The program is designed to expose golfers to skills testing and training, new challenges and opportunities, and to compliment any lessons/training they are receiving or have received.
The Golf program is structured to deliver training sessions and workshops over the 12 month program period. Sessions involve a mixture of technical coaching, sport specific training and competition program, group training days, competition support and access to information for athletes in areas such as skill development and competition preparation.
Benefits to athletes selected in SWAS:
- Ongoing personal and group sessions with a local pro over the entirety of the program.
- 5 tournament entry fees are covered across the year (athlete specific).
- 4 Development Camps (Each camp combines on-course activities with sport science and personal development activities off the court).
- Golf Victoria tournament support at identified Junior and Senior Tour tournaments.
- Inter-Academy Challenge involving coaching, competition and other activities with all other Victorian Regional Academies (TBC).
- Golf Victoria High Performance Training Day.
- IAP Musculoskeletal Screening – with a qualified Physiotherapist to guide all future development.
- Year Long Weekly Strength & Conditioning Sessions – with a qualified Strength & Conditioning Coach* (*please note all our strength and conditioning coaches hold an Exercise Science Degree).
- Injury Prevention & Recovery, Support and Education – designed and delivered by industry experts.
- Sports Psychology Sessions – with a qualified Sports Psychologist.
- Skill Development Assistance – with qualified Coaches.
- 12 month Gym membership – for athlete’s free and personal use to support their athletic pursuits.
- Sports Science Testing & Education – including; speed, agility, stability, power, & further sport specific tests.
- Personal Development & Education – including; Leadership, Supportive Athletic Routine, Self-Awareness, Problem Solving, Effective Time Management.
- Professional Development & Education – including; Sports Nutrition, Physical Literacy, Effective Communication, Self-Marketing & Branding, Media Training· ‘
- Ongoing Access to SWAS’s Medical Support Network – as trusted and recommended by SWAS.
- Professional Certification Opportunities – i.e. First Aid Certificate, Online Education Platforms: Sport Relevant, etc.
Athlete Wellness Monitoring – supporting and monitoring athlete’s daily professional physical load and personal mental wellbeing in aid of daily health management and crisis aversion and identification.
SWAS Golf Program Selection Criteria
- The SWAS 2020 Golf program caters for pre-elite male and female athletes.
- Be an existing member of a Golf Victoria affiliated club in the South West.
- Reside in the South West region within the defined Local Government boundaries; Moyne, Corangamite, Glenelg, Southern Grampians, Warrnambool.
- Have a positive attitude and a willingness to learn.
- Have reached a satisfactory standard of play based on current player rankings and/or performance at local tournaments and regional events.
Note on Tournaments:
There are a number of local tournament that are compulsory events that athletes are expected to attend, if an athlete wanted to attend another tournament then they will need to contact SWAS to discuss alternative arrangements.