The South West Academy of Sport (SWAS) 2018 Golf program is proudly supported by Golf Victoria, Western District Golf Association and the Victorian Institute of Sport, The SWAS Golf Program has the specific objective of identifying talented junior golfers and providing them with a level of coaching and athlete education that will assist them in taking the next step in the sport of Golf.
The program is designed to expose golfers to skills testing and training, new challenges and opportunities, and to complement any lessons/training they are receiving or have received.
The Golf program is structured to deliver training sessions and workshops over the 12 month program period. Sessions involve a mixture of technical coaching, sport specific training and competition program, group training days, competition support and access to information for athletes in areas such as skill development and competition preparation. Athletes will gain access to myAISbasecamp which provides them with resources, programs, training and coaches from both the Australian Institute of Sport and the Victorian Institute of Sport.
The Golf program runs from August to July 2018
Staff includes head coach Brook Salmon and local Pro coach Craig Bonney from Warrnambool Golf Club. Golf Victoria coach Paul Skinner and a program manager who organises logistics for program delivery.
Benefits to athletes selected in SWAS:
- Intensive training by quality coaches
- Skill development
- Development camps (Each camp combines on-court activities with sport science and personal development activities off the court).
- Strength and conditioning programs, support and advice (including functional movement screening)
- Access to myAISbasecamp an Australian Institute of Sport athlete development and support program
- Sports science testing and education
- SWAS uniform
- Personal Development workshops such as Nutrition, Sports Psychology, Media training, Recovery
- Access to a medical support network.
- Golf Victoria tournament support at identified Junior and Senior Tour tournaments.
- Inter-Academy Challenge involving coaching, competition and other activities with all other Victorian Regional Academies (TBC).
SWAS Golf Program Selection Criteria
- The SWAS 2018 Golf program caters for pre-elite male and female athletes.
- Be an existing member of a Golf Victoria affiliated club in the South West.
- Reside in the South West region within the defined Local Government boundaries; Moyne, Corangamite, Glenelg, Southern Grampians, Warrnambool.
- Have a positive attitude and a willingness to learn.
- Have reached a satisfactory standard of play based on current player rankings and/or performance at local tournaments and regional events.
Note on Tournaments:
There are a number of local tournament that are compulsory events that athletes are expected to attend, if an athlete wanted to attend another tournament then they will need to contact SWAS to discuss alternative arrangements.