SWAS, supported by Netball Victoria has designed the SWAS NVTA Netball Pathway program with the aim to transition emerging South West athletes to the Netball Victoria Talent Academy as they work to pursue the Netball Victoria pathway to a professional career and other such higher levels of Netball excellence.
The aim of the program is to both assist Netball Victoria to reach and service regional areas and to support aspiring Netball athletes within the South West region.
The objective of the SWAS NVTA Netball Pathway Program is to offer selected athletes with sports science components and personal development at a local level.
South West Academy of Sport provides sports programs that integrate both the physical and mental aspects of elite sport through an athlete-centred approach and focuses on the processes needed to achieve the required short and long-term goals.
The Netball squad program will runs from February to December
Coaches/ Program Manager
- Mel Starr (Head Coach)
- Sara Quinn
- Melissa Burt
Benefits to athletes selected in the SWAS NVTA Netball Pathway Program:
- 8 SWAS NVTA Netball Pathway Program Sessions throughout the duration of the program
- 3 hours per session amongst the best and most aspiring netball athletes the South West has to offer.
- 1 trip to melbourne to watch the Melbourne Vixens play.
- Automatic Invitation to trial for the Western Talent Academy.
- Musculoskeletal Screening – with a qualified Physiotherapist to guide all future development.
- Year Long Weekly Strength & Conditioning Sessions – with a qualified Strength & Conditioning Coach* (*please note all our strength and conditioning coaches hold an Exercise Science Degree).
- Injury Prevention & Recovery, Support and Education – designed and delivered by industry experts.
- Sports Psychology Sessions – with a qualified Sports Psychologist.
- Skill Development Assistance – with qualified Coaches.
- 12 month Gym membership – for athlete’s free and personal use to support their athletic pursuits.
- Sports Science Testing & Education – including; speed, agility, stability, power, & further sport specific tests.
- Personal Development & Education – including; Leadership, Supportive Athletic Routine, Self-Awareness, Problem Solving, Effective Time Management.
- Professional Development & Education – including; Sports Nutrition, Physical Literacy, Effective Communication, Self-Marketing & Branding, Media Training· ‘
- Ongoing Access to SWAS’s Medical Support Network – as trusted and recommended by SWAS.
- Professional Certification Opportunities – i.e. First Aid Certificate, Online Education Platforms: Sport Relevant, etc.
Athlete Wellness Monitoring – supporting and monitoring athlete’s daily professional physical load and personal mental wellbeing in aid of daily health management and crisis aversion and identification.
SWAS Netball Program Selection Criteria
- All hopeful athletes must register and trial to be eligible for selection in the SWAS NVTA Netball Pathway Program