Netball Victoria has recently partnered up with South West Academy of Sport to provide talent development for potential Zone Academy athletes transitioning to the U15 age group. The program provides opportunities and exposure for Athletes to high performance sporting knowledge. Specifically the Dare to Develop a Diamond Netball program within the Victorian Netball Development Pathway.
The aim of the program is to both assist Netball Victoria to reach and service regional areas and to support aspiring Netball athletes within the South West region.
The objective of the Service Delivery Program is to offer the athletes with sports science components and personal development at a local level.
South West Academy of Sport provides sports programs that integrate both the physical and mental aspects of elite sport through an athlete-centred approach and focuses on the processes needed to achieve the required short and long-term goals.
The Netball Program provides:
- Identification of regional athletes with long-term characteristics for high-performance netball
- Provide athletes with the tools necessary for them to develop as high-level athletes; athlete education, strength and conditioning, physical assessment testing, access to a Sports Science and Sports Medicine service provider network
- To involve and support the personal development of regionally based netball coaches in the program for the betterment of future netball athletes
The Netball squad program will runs from February to December
Coaches/ Program Manager
- Stacey O’Sullivan
- Sara Quinn
- Fran Bell
- Meagan Forth
Benefits to athletes selected in SWAS:
- Intensive training by quality coaches
- Netball Victoria Player Manuals
- Skill development
- Development camps (Each camp combines on-court activities with sport science and personal development activities off the court).
- Strength and conditioning programs, support and advice (including functional movement screening)
- Access to myAISbasecamp an Australian Institute of Sport athlete development and support program
- Sports science testing and education
- SWAS uniform
- Personal Development workshops such as Nutrition, Sports Psychology, Media training and Recovery Techniques etc.
- Access to a medical support network.
SWAS Netball Program Selection Criteria
Netball Victoria scout potential talented athletes to identify those athletes who have been deemed as future Zone Academy athletes through a number of means:
- Netball Victoria State Screening Days
- Athletes who trialled for the Zone Academy during the last 2 years but missed out
- Athletes in VNL Development Squads for the coming year.
- Athletes may be included in the program based on current and potential ability.