The South West Academy of Sport (SWAS) 2017 Clay Target Shooting program, proudly supported by the Victorian Clay Target Association (VCTA) and the Victorian Institute of Sport, provides coaching, training, competition support and education sessions designed to complement athlete’s daily and weekly training environment. The program aims to bring together the most talented junior players in the South West region.
The Clay Target Shooting program is structured to deliver training camps over the 12 month program period. Each camp combines on-court activities with sport science and personal development activities. These camps are scheduled to best suit the athletes within the Squad and further complement an athlete’s daily and weekly training environment as well as avoid Regional and State Teams events.
The 2017 Clay Target Shooting squad program will run from February 2017 to December 2018
Penny is a World Champion Shooter who recently achieved a Gold Medal and World Record at the 2017 ISSF world cup.
Benefits to athletes selected in SWAS
- Intensive training by quality coaches
- Skill development
- Development camps (Each camp combines on-court activities with sport science and personal development activities off the court).
- Strength and conditioning programs, support and advice (including functional movement screening)
- Access to myAISbasecamp an Australian Institute of Sport athlete development and support program
- Sports science testing and education
- SWAS uniform
- Personal Development workshops such as Nutrition, Sports Psychology, Media training and Recovery
- Access to a medical support network.
- Support for identified Junior tournaments
SWAS Clay Target Shooting Program Selection Criteria
The SWAS 2018 Clay Target Shooting program caters for pre-elite male and female athletes in the U15, U17 and U19 age groups. The program services up to 16 athletes with final numbers dependent upon trial results and competency against the selection criteria.
- Be an existing member of an affiliated ACTA club in the South West, or the Victorian Clay Target Association directly.
- Have a positive attitude and a willingness to learn.
- Have reached a satisfactory standard of play based on current player rankings and/or performance at local tournaments and regional events.