The South West Academy of Sport (SWAS) 2017 Surfing program, proudly supported by Surfing Victoria, the Glenelg Shire, the Portland Boardriders Club and the Victorian Institute of Sport, provides coaching, training, competition support and education sessions designed to complement athlete’s daily and weekly training environment.
The program is designed to expose golfers to skills testing and training, new challenges and opportunities, and to complement any lessons/training they are receiving or have received.
The program involves a mixture of technical coaching, sport specific training and competition program, group training days, competition support and access to information for athletes in areas such as skill development and competition preparation. Athletes will gain access to myAISbasecamp which provides them with resources, programs, training and coaches from both the Australian Institute of Sport and the Victorian Institute of Sport.
The Surfing squad program will run from February to December
Coaches/ Program Manager
- Paul White
- Marcus Eldgridge
- Aaron Campbell
Benefits to athletes selected in SWAS:
- Intensive training by quality coaches
- Skill development
- Development camps (Each camp combines on-court activities with sport science and personal development activities off the court).
- Strength and conditioning programs, support and advice (including functional movement screening)
- Access to myAISbasecamp an Australian Institute of Sport athlete development and support program
- Sports science testing and education
- SWAS uniform
- Personal Development workshops such as Nutrition, Sports Psychology, Media training, Recovery Techniques and other areas
- Access to a medical support network.
- Tournament and competition support at identified Junior Tour tournaments
- Video analysis when video footage is sent
SWAS Surfing Program Selection Criteria
The SWAS 2018 Surfing program services up to 16 athletes with final numbers dependent upon results and competency against the selection criteria.
- Be an existing member of a Surfing Victoria affiliated club in the South West
- Have a positive attitude and a willingness to learn
- Have reached a satisfactory skills standard, based on current player rankings and/or performance at local tournaments and regional events.