The South West Academy of Sport (SWAS) Tennis program, proudly supported by Tennis Victoria and the Victorian Institute of Sport, provides coaching, training and education sessions designed to compliment athlete’s daily and weekly training environment with their local private coach – through the provision of both on and off court activities. The program aims to bring together the most talented junior players in the South West region.
SWAS Tennis Program Structure
The tennis program is structured to deliver training camps and local hitting sessions over the 12 month program period, the training camps are delivered each school term. Each camp combines on-court activities with sport science and personal development activities off the court. The camps are scheduled to avoid Tennis Victoria’s “Player Support Program” sessions (which is a further compliment to an athlete’s daily and weekly training environment of private coaching) as well as avoid Regional Teams events.
The 2020 Tennis squad program will run from February to December
Head Coach/Program Manager
Tennis Victoria’s Regional State Coach Olivia Rich.
Program Manager- Willow Sainsbury
Hear from our previous coach Doug Hill talk about the SWAS Tennis program…
Benefits to athletes selected in SWAS:
- 60 Applied Professional Coaching Hours
- 12 Master Class Sessions.
- 3 Fully Supported & Exclusive Inter Academy Tournaments – SAVIC Border Plate, SWAS OR Tennis Challenge, & the Victorian Inter-Academy Challenge.
- Musculoskeletal Screening – with a qualified Physiotherapist to guide all future development.
- Year Long Weekly Strength & Conditioning Sessions – with a qualified Strength & Conditioning Coach* (*please note all our strength and conditioning coaches hold an Exercise Science Degree).
- Injury Prevention & Recovery, Support and Education – designed and delivered by industry experts.
- Sports Psychology Sessions – with a qualified Sports Psychologist.
- Skill Development Assistance – with qualified Coaches.
- 12 month Gym membership – for athlete’s free and personal use to support their athletic pursuits.
- Sports Science Testing & Education – including; speed, agility, stability, power, & further sport specific tests.
- Personal Development & Education – including; Leadership, Supportive Athletic Routine, Self-Awareness, Problem Solving, Effective Time Management.
- Professional Development & Education – including; Sports Nutrition, Physical Literacy, Effective Communication, Self-Marketing & Branding, Media Training· ‘
- Ongoing Access to SWAS’s Medical Support Network – as trusted and recommended by SWAS.
- Professional Certification Opportunities – i.e. First Aid Certificate, Online Education Platforms: Sport Relevant, etc.
Athlete Wellness Monitoring – supporting and monitoring athlete’s daily professional physical load and personal mental wellbeing in aid of daily health management and crisis aversion and identification.
SWAS Tennis Program Selection Criteria
The SWAS 2020 Tennis program will cater for pre-elite male and female athletes in the 11-15 age groups (*approx age groups). The program services up to 16 athletes with final numbers dependent upon trial results and competency against the selection criteria.
- Be an existing member of a Tennis Victoria affiliated club in the South West, or Tennis Victoria directly.
- Have a positive attitude and a willingness to learn.
- Have reached a satisfactory standard of play based on current player rankings and/or performance at local tournaments and regional events.