The South West Academy of Sport (SWAS) 2017 Tennis program, proudly supported by Tennis Victoria and the Victorian Institute of Sport, provides coaching, training and education sessions designed to complement athlete’s daily and weekly training environment with their local private coach – through the provision of both on and off court activities. The program aims to bring together the most talented junior players in the South West region.
SWAS Tennis Program Structure
The tennis program will deliver four regional training camps (RTD’S) over the 12 month program period, with one camp delivered each school term. Each camp combines on-court activities with sport science and personal development activities off the court. The dates for the 2017 RTD’s will be finalised shortly and are scheduled to avoid regional team events as well as Tennis Victoria’s “Player Support Program” sessions.
The 2017 Tennis squad program will run from February 2017 to January 2018
Tennis Victoria’s Regional State Coach Doug Hill.
Benefits to athletes selected in SWAS:
- Intensive training by quality coaches
- Skill development
- Development camps
- Strength and conditioning programs, support and advice (including functional movement screening)
- Sports science testing
- SWAS uniform
- Personal Development workshops such as Nutrition, Sports Psychology, Media training, Recovery
- Access to myAISbasecamp an Australian Institute of Sport athlete development and support program
- Access to a medical support network.
- Tennis Victoria tournament support at identified Junior Tour tournaments from the regional state coach & Tennis Victoria’s Association/Regional Challenge.
- Melbourne Park Inter-Academy Challenge involving on-court coaching, competition and other activities with all other Victorian Regional Academies.
SWAS Tennis Program Selection Criteria
The SWAS 2017 Tennis program caters for pre-elite male and female athletes in the U15, U17 and U19 age groups. The program services up to 16 athletes with final numbers dependent upon trial results and competency against the selection criteria.
- Be an existing member of a Tennis Victoria affiliated club in the South West, or Tennis Victoria directly.
- Have a positive attitude and a willingness to learn.
- Have reached a satisfactory standard of play based on current player rankings and/or performance at local tournaments and regional events.