The South West Academy of Sport (SWAS) Tennis program, proudly supported by Tennis Victoria and the Victorian Institute of Sport, provides coaching, training and education sessions designed to complement athlete’s daily and weekly training environment with their local private coach – through the provision of both on and off court activities. The program aims to bring together the most talented junior players in the South West region.
SWAS Tennis Program Structure
The tennis program is structured to deliver training camps and local hitting sessions over the 12 month program period, the training camps are delivered each school term. Each camp combines on-court activities with sport science and personal development activities off the court. The camps are scheduled to avoid Tennis Victoria’s “Player Support Program” sessions (which is a further complement to an athlete’s daily and weekly training environment of private coaching) as well as avoid Regional Teams events.
The 2019 Tennis squad program will run from February 10th 2019 to December 16th 2019
Trials for the 2019 program will take place on Sunday 2nd December 4pm at the Warrnambool Lawn Tennis Club, Pertobe Road, Warrnambool, all interested athletes will need to register with Tennis Victoria at: tennisvic.wufoo.com/…/regional-academy-of-sport-2019-trials/
Head Coach/Program Manager
Tennis Victoria’s Regional State Coach Olivia Rich.
Program Manager- Willow Sainsbury
Hear from our previous coach Doug Hill talk about the SWAS Tennis program…
Benefits to athletes selected in SWAS:
- Intensive training by quality coaches
- Skill development
- Development camps
- Strength and conditioning programs, support and advice (including functional movement screening)
- Sports science testing
- SWAS uniform
- Personal Development workshops such as Nutrition, Sports Psychology, Media training, Recovery
- Access to myAISbasecamp an Australian Institute of Sport athlete development and support program
- Access to a medical support network.
- Tennis Victoria tournament support at identified Junior Tour tournaments from the regional state coach & Tennis Victoria’s Association/Regional Challenge.
- Melbourne Park Inter-Academy Challenge involving on-court coaching, competition and other activities with all other Victorian Regional Academies.
SWAS Tennis Program Selection Criteria
The SWAS 2019 Tennis program will cater for pre-elite male and female athletes in the 11-15 age groups (*approx age groups). The program services up to 16 athletes with final numbers dependent upon trial results and competency against the selection criteria.
- Be an existing member of a Tennis Victoria affiliated club in the South West, or Tennis Victoria directly.
- Have a positive attitude and a willingness to learn.
- Have reached a satisfactory standard of play based on current player rankings and/or performance at local tournaments and regional events.