The South West Academy of Sport Cycling Program, proudly supported by Cycling Victoria, will act as a complimentary program for the best cycling athletes in South West Victoria, and provides a development pathway to State and National representation.
The program provides “skills” coaching through training camps, and sport science services to aid development.
- The aim is to provide services to these athletes which they could not otherwise access, therefore completing and complimenting their current coaching, training and competition environments.
The overarching objective of the SWAS Cycling Program is to implement a program which takes a holistic approach to an athlete’s development. This is achieved through on and off surface activities.
From a coaching perspective, the program provides a series of “Training Camps” which focus on ‘Skill Development”. The training camps cover drills and activities as determined by the coach, based on athlete needs. Athletes are also provided with a personalised “Riding Program” through the online Training Peaks program. The cycling program’s approach to coaching provision is “to provide athletes with the opportunity to develop and improve skills/knowledge/approaches/attitudes in their cycling”.
With an athlete-centred approach, the cycling program provides a structure that integrates the physical, technical and mental aspects of cycling. To this end, the program delivers a series of off-course activities around personal excellence and athlete education, these sessions include sport psychology and nutrition, as well as strength & conditioning programs.
2018 Program Delivery
The 2018 program will run from April 2018 to March 2019, this change has been made to align with the change in seasons – Road & Track, and club activity/operation, and is coordinated by SWAS, with Cycling Victoria. The practical cycling component (training camps, race support and riding programs) will be delivered by Anchor Point South Coast Cycling with the strength & conditioning, athlete education and personal excellence delivery be SWAS.
Anchor Point South Coast Cycling
Anchor Point South Coast Cycling Team is an elite road cycling team based in South West Victoria. We strive on giving young riders the opportunity to race at national level and will continue to look toward the future and give other up and coming riders the chance of developing experience as they progress through the ranks.
Combined program – Anchor Point South Coast Cycling & SWAS Squad
The program will consist of two teams, (1) the development team for riders over 17 years of age. This team is selected from South West region riders who are committed to progression to the senior Anchor Point South Cost Cycling Team. Athletes must be Cycling Victoria members and abide by SWAS and South Cost Cycling term and conditions.
The (2) junior team consists of riders in U15 or U17 age groups, these riders need to meet the following selection criteria:
- Be a member of a Cycling Victoria affiliated club in the South West
- Have a positive attitude and a willingness to learn.
- Are racing in the Victorian Junior Road Series or have reached a satisfactory standard of performance based on current rankings at local races and regional events.
- A desire to progress further along the junior pathway and eventually progress their own Cycling and/or progress to the development team.
Benefits to athletes:
- 6 Cycling training Camps including:
- Altitude room experience
- Training with the senior Anchor Point Cycling team
- Riding program designed and tracked through Training Peaks Pro an online Cycling training program
- Personal Excellence workshops: These workshops include a wide variety of education and training such as Nutrition, Recovery, injury prevention, goal setting, media training, Sport Psychology, guest speakers and much more.
- Strength and conditioning programs, including a Strength and Conditioning coach who will provide weekly strength and conditioning sessions and assist in the athletes training and improvement.
- Musculoskeletal screening and profiling
- Access to myAISbasecamp; the myAISbasecamp program provides athletes with the ability to link directly to resources, programs and coaches from both the Australian Institute of Sport and the Victorian Institute of Sport.
- Sports science testing and education
- Access to SWAS medical support network including Physiotherapists, Chiropractors, Doctor and massage therapists.
So if you are an aspiring cyclist, SWAS can help you along your pathway and provide you with the essential elite athlete education and training that you require to take the next big step in your sporting career.
Applications are now open!
Applicants must meet the selection criteria outlined above and submit an online application.
All athletes will be advised of the receipt of their application and be notified by email of their acceptance or otherwise. Selections are made by a panel of members from SWAS and SCC in consultation with the Victorian Institute of Sport and Cycling Victoria.
Closing date for applications Monday 9 April 2018.