SWAS Hockey Program
South West Academy of Sport (SWAS) has partnered with Hockey Victoria and sportDS to present the Westvic Hockey Academy; a program layout for an elite Hockey Academy for the regions’ aspiring players. The squad will ultimately consist of male and female athletes in the Under 13, Under 15 and Under 18 age groups.
The program will provide opportunities for young athletes to receive quality high-performance coaching over a prolonged period to best prepare them for representative honours at regional, state and national level. It will also provide opportunities for coaches to develop in a practical and open atmosphere that encourages personal growth.
The Hockey Academy program will be a sustainable and high-quality development program that will prepare the regions’ top hockey players for the rigours of high-performance hockey.
This program will;
- Identify regional athletes with the appropriate characteristics to play hockey at the highest level.
- Expose top junior players in the region to quality technical coaching, strength & conditioning, and off-field athlete education to best prepare them for life as an elite athlete.
- Offer mentorship and development to the region’s local coaches.
- Provide the Westvic region with a dedicated, supported and sustainable Hockey Academy program.
The Westvic Hockey Academy will begin in October and run until March the following year with sessions held every second week, starting on October 27th in Warrnambool, at 9:45 am.
Group Skills & Training Sessions will be held on Sundays with the locations to be shared between Warrnambool, Ballarat & Hamilton.
- Reside within the SWAS or Ballarat region; and
- Be a registered member with Hockey Victoria; and
- Aged 13 to 18 on or before 31 December 2020
Benefits to Athletes in the Westvic Hockey Academy
- A committed ratio of 1 coach to 6 players, with all coaches under continual mentorship in the sportDS Coach Development Program (aside from specialist guest coaches).
- 9 x fortnightly training sessions, to ensure maximal retention and opportunity to practice in an elite training environment under the eyes of top coaches
- Technical development based on fundamental biomechanical principles
- Video analysis at every session
- Strength & Conditioning programs, support and advice for the full calendar year (October 2019 to September 2020) – with a take-home program and regular screening and testing to gauge improvement
- SWAS uniform.
- Components of nutritional education, communication skills, mindset training, meditation and mindfulness.
- Stomp Goalkeeping subscription and training package for all goalkeepers, coordinated by Australian Goalkeeper Rachel Lynch.
- Player Manuals for the collation of notes and written content
- Ongoing monitoring and mentorship by sportDS coaches at Junior Country Championships and Junior State Championships each year.
Athlete Nominations close on October 13th at 5pm.
For more information, please contact Nic Kaiser at SWAS on (03) 5564 8567 or via email at email@example.com.