The South West Academy of Sport (SWAS) is the peak sporting body of South West Victoria for aspiring elite athletes. SWAS provides athlete education and training opportunities for all its member athletes across the South West.
SWAS is the regional development pathway provider for the Victorian Institute of Sport and is funded by the State government and South West Local Governments to provide training and educational opportunities for aspiring South West athletes and coaches. SWAS works within all Olympic and Commonwealth sports programs and also works in any sport program that is linked with the Department of Sport and Recreation.
So if you are an aspiring athlete, SWAS we can help you along your pathway and provide you with the essential elite athlete education and training that you require to take the next big step in your sporting career.
SWAS provides a range of performance services for supported talented athletes including:
- Intensive training by quality coaches
- Fundamental Movement and Speed & power sessions
- Mentoring & Leadership training
- Strength and conditioning programs, support and advice (including functional movement screening)
- Access to myAISbasecamp an Australian Institute of Sport athlete development and support program
- Sports science testing and education
- SWAS uniform
- Personal Development workshops such as Nutrition, Sports Psychology, Media training and Recovery
- Access to a medical support network.
In sports where SWAS does not have a partnered squad program, athletes may apply for the Individual Athlete Program. The Individual Athlete Program supports talented athletes from a variety of Olympic, Paralympic and non-Olympic (Commonwealth Games) sports.
The scholarship period for the Individual Athlete Program will run from 10 February 2019 to 31 December 2019. The timeline for the selection process is outlined below:
- Closing date for applications Friday 18 January 2019
- Athletes notified of the application outcome Wednesday 30 January
- Athlete Induction day Sunday 10 February
Please note: Individual scholarships are only available to athletes in sports where SWAS does not host a squad program. In 2019 SWAS has partnered squad programs with the following sports: Clay Target Shooting, Cycling, Golf, Netball, Tennis, Surfing, Football* (Soccer) within SWAS and applications forms will be provided shortly, please contact the office, your club or keep an eye on the SWAS website for further information.